View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Scotlands Independence   Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:23 pm

First topic message reminder :

Can I invite the members of the forum to have a debate and post their views on the Scottish Independence issues

There are many topic's involved in a debate of this nature
Example's, Would Scotland have to join the EU if they went Independent
Which currency would they use
Would there be a border between the two countries
Would passport have to be shown when entering or leaving the country
Does it mean that there's no longer a British passport, in my case would it be English and in my wife's case be Scottish
What would happen to the people who live and work near to where the border might be
An English and Scottish married couple have children, which nationality would the children have

On a personal note, my wife is a Scottish lassie, if Scotland get's Independence does that mean that I am married to a foreigner

There are a few to go on with
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... s-16779891 Could this be another storm in a "
Tea"
Cup
T

Last edited by 178 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
BGTRAVELLER
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Sovereignty - becoming an independent country - is being debated and voted as if just another way of playing party-politics and by assuming that borders offer protection from Westminster Conservatives, and even offer a peaceful Social-Democratic revolution for "
a better fairer society"
etc. But, the opposite is true. Borders are weaknesses, opportunities for big money corporations and banks to game and exploit for tax and other concessions including blackmail over social policies, and even for high net worth individuals also to evade tax.
An independent Scotland will have to finance its balance of trade and payments deficit with the rest of the UK (one third of its national income estimates) and that priority will matter more than all its domestic social policy ambitions to the extent that they will face inevitable massive cuts. Half of Scotland's tax is paid in England and it will be years before it can be precisely calculated and claimed for. Meanwhile capital flight and disinvestment will lead to job losses and a very large out-migration, far worse than Ireland has been experiencing post-2008. Scotland will lose of 12,500 international treaties and agreements. It risks becoming the exact opposite of a social-democratic state in sheer desperation to attract hard currency any way it can.English voter anger at being insulted and mistrusted will make it extremely difficult for politicians to agree necessary concessions to Scotland. The political classes will be in disarray, derided and despised as negotiations repeatedly fail to agree and break down. The chances of Scotland declaring UDI in March 2016 must be high, resulting in it becoming not only illegal, but a truly failed &
bankrupt state beyond the help of anyone except London to save it i.e. a Yes Vote leads to far less true independence, not more, and to gambling and losing the very social-welfare state policies that Yes voters seek to protect!.
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:53 pm

It's not just about Scotland,anymore.If Salmond is in bed with Murdoch then I pity the Scots.Too many Scots abroad have not been allowed a say in this referendum.This is unforgiveable.There should have been a proper constitutional vote where the whole UK could have voted.I blame Cameron for that just as much as Salmond.It is all going to end up as a massive expense for no reason.An expense that will damage the rUK and bring Scotland to it's knees in the case of Independence.Even if the vote is 'No' then the damage will still be huge.How utterly stupid.
Back to top Go down
cheekychops
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:12 pm

The fact that Murdoch wants independence and a means of evading control over his media empire says it all. If people believe that he is 'anti-establishment' then they need their proverbial heads examining. The 'debate' has been reduced to the level of a TV show and Salmond's belligerency has obviously paid off. This is not a game but you would not know it from the media treatment. .If we want a more equal society then that means throughout Britain. For people to think that will get a more equal society by opting out of the struggle and getting what they want from a party that cuddles up to Murdoch and which is maniacally pro-business they are wrong, wrong ,wrong. Some public provision is currently better in Scotland because of ,not despite ,the economic and political settlement agreed by the UK parliament. That would cease under independence. And what is more people who live in England ,Wales and Northern Ireland have the right to demand solidarity from those who believe in social justice in Scotland. Those who want to opt out of the struggle can be persuaded otherwise but only if we argue from an anti-establishment point of view. Nationalism inevitably leads to right wing policies.The SNP has its origins on the right and is pandering to the left majority in Scotland for as long as it can get away with it. And that is just a few more days. I hope Scotland will vote NO for the sake of the many in the whole of Great Britain and not some of the few in Scotland.
Back to top Go down
sallyann
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:26 pm

I will admit the general attitude towards the rest of the UK and Westminster leaves me feeling like there's an anti-English sentiment growing within the Yes Campaign. You didn't vote in the tories? Neither did I. You didn't vote in the House of Lords? Neither did I. You didn't vote in Trident? Funnily enough neither did I, yet I'll still have £50k more debt when I graduate than you. So where's my indy ref? Why is it Scots seem to think that they are immune to corrupt politicians and the 'Westminster plague'? Corrupt politicians exist in every state, independence wont rid a state of expense scandals (UK) or selling their election campaign to the highest corporate bidder (US). Oh, but you'll get the parliament you voted for? Word play;
you'll get the parliament the majority voted for in which there will still be a minority who disagree. So are you going to offer them a referendum in 10yrs time? And that's without even broaching the currency debate of which I'm not sure even Salmond has broached yet. Your NHS is bad? I should know - I have used the same one. Have you seen USA's? There was an argument saying private health care in America is cheaper, but recent figures put a relatively similar cancer drug at £100k (private care) in the US and £80k (public care) in the UK. So if you are unhappy with the NHS you're welcome to source more expensive suppliers and go it alone with the private system. One Scot I know used the analogy "
if your kids are drowning are you going to let them drown just because your neighbours kids are drowning too?"
which is a good point. Are you drowning, Scotland? Congratulations on learning how to breathe underwater for so long.

As you can probably establish I'm fairly no-orientated. But I'm willing to keep my mind open if you can cite reliable sources and make a logical come back.

Westminster is a pile of poo. Washington DC is a pile of poo. Politics can be a pile of poo. Unless we plan on going back to neanderthal times, we wont escape politics - with all its glory and all its kack.
Back to top Go down
varnagirl
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:01 pm

Actually to even think about spliting up the UK is just a crock of shite ...! makes no bleeding sense whatsoever ...stupidity at its best !
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:15 pm

Another fine mess you are going to get us into Cameron!! However, you can't blame the Scots for wanting to see if they can run "
their country"
better than the shambles down at Westminster.
Back to top Go down
BGIan
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:37 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
Actually to even think about spliting up the UK is just a crock of Sh*t* ...! makes no bleeding sense whatsoever ...stupidity at its best !

Agreed!
Back to top Go down
Gimp
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:33 am

Just think of all the superb national events, moments, discoveries of technological and scientific greatness, the might of the pound, the opportunities available to you across this nation. The international influence, the music films and television jointly produced, the world class media, the superb countryside, brilliant transport links.

I am amazed at how so many apparently argue that being Scottish is apparently more appealing than being British. Being Scottish or English hasn't actually existed for 300 years, it's way in the history books. Yet the nationalism side wants to redraw these boundaries, splitting a proud nation in the process and making us all weaker.

I just do not get it.

Is it just me or does it also strike as a bit of a scandal that such a huge change can potentially happen on a minuscule majority, forcing other citizens for the land to be rebranded beneath their feet? Also, why don't any other Brits get a say? Why did Cameron allow the NO side to be associated with negativity. This was a sham from the start.
Back to top Go down
davshaz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:47 am

You do have a point there Gimp, but have others listened to what Beckham has to say? it seems he is now on the band wagon to, David Beckham doesn't want Scottish independence we'd best pack up the Yes campaign and go home. I'm sure his career kicking a ball about gives him deep insights into Scottish politics - especially the many years spent playing for LA Galaxy or whatever. Perhaps his good lady might want to give us views on how independence might impact of EU fisheries policy, in the light of the LA fashion scene. Yes when I want incisive political comment on Scotland I always look for a semi educated football player, a transvestite stand up comedian or a superannuated pop star or two to comment.

I mean who else might have an informed view?

Or we could elect these to do everything for us as they seem to have the answers [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

David Beckham, Eddie Izzard, Frankie Boyle, Andy Murray, The Proclaimers, Susan Boyle, Chris Hoy. You get the idea
Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:21 am

I see that some of the financial institutes are considering moving if the YES vote wins, As slow at recognizing reality as Alex Salmond is, he must at some time realize businesses domicile where they do, because there is a financial benefit involved. The UK oil industry is based in Aberdeen because that is closest to the action you can be, Whiskey is distilled in Scotland because that is where the necessary ingredients are. Salmon fishing is in Scotland because that is where the Salmon are, you get the picture. There is no rhyme nor reason for financial institutions to be domicile in Scotland. The bulk of the transacted financial business is conducted in England, consequently in the event of a Yes to independence vote, the companies that matter will move to a safer more natural location for their business. The UK defense industry places major contracts in Scotland, as it is part of the UK, that will not continue if the vote is yes. The legion of public sector jobs and call centers currently set up in Scotland, will scale back to service the 8% of the UK population domicile in Scotland rather than the 100% they are involved in servicing now, if there is a yes vote. There is no threat involved in any of these realities they are just the natural outcome of a small country operating independently conducting small country services. On the plus side, the Oil industry, the Whiskey industry, the Tartan fashion industry, Salmon fishing, dear shooting, grouse shooting, and tourism will all remain. The benefits of those should not be underestimated along with much quieter roads once the major employment industries have moved to England. If there is a yes vote, Alex Salmond will become a legend in his own lifetime, in exactly the same way Gordon Brown has.
NB I forgot to mention Wind Farms;
Scotland has lots of those, along with all the grant support to pay for them. I leave you to make up your own minds if that is something to place on the plus or minus side of the asset register. s
Back to top Go down
LisA
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:38 pm

I hear others say that Scotland really is special, isn't it. No central bank, no currency, no banks, no food on the table, no electricity. Quite how anyone thinks they might - just might - have what other small countries have is truly extraordinary.
Back to top Go down
therowfamily
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:55 pm

It boggles my mind to think that so many people are even considering voting Yes, when the consequences are so obvious and so dire. There's no question that companies such as those mentioned will leave Scotland in the event of a Yes. I respect the passion the Scots have for their country, but independence is completely the wrong path. They are much stronger as part of the union, and the union is better for it.
Back to top Go down
Noddy
Senior user
Senior user

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:03 pm

Where will Salmond look to replace the taxes and jobs those banks give him? Where will he find the 10s of billions needed as a reserve for his unofficial shadowed pound idea? If you ask me the guy needs sectioning.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:15 pm

Here are some interesting facts [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ... -the-union g
Back to top Go down
Scunnered

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:48 am

Good result! :Kilt: :Kilt: :Kilt:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scotlands Independence   

Back to top Go down

Scotlands Independence

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next