Share | 

Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
oddball

PostSubject: Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012   Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:12 am

First topic message reminder :

UK.Gov website (this was on facebook this morning)

A message from the British Embassy for all BRITISH EXPATS living in Bulgaria - PLEASE TAKE NOTE

CHANGES TO BRITISH PASSPORT SERVICES IN BULGARIA

We are making important changes to the way we deliver British passports. The UK government’s goal is to ensure that all British nationals living overseas receive a consistent, trusted, secure and efficient service whilst keeping the costs as low as possible. In order to do that responsibility for issuing passports overseas passed from the Foreign Office and its posts overseas to the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) – and Agency of the Home Office, which already handles all passport applications from people living in the UK.
From 3 December 2012, British nationals in Bulgaria will submit passport applications to IPS in the UK for processing. All the information needed to complete the passport application process will be available on the gov.uk website at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]. You should avoid leaving applying for your passport until the last minute. You can apply to renew your passport at any time. Any remaining validity up to nine months will be transferred from your old passport to your new one. If you are renewing your passport, you should allow at least four weeks from the date the fee is taken and all the correct documentation has been received. If you are applying for the first time or you are replacing a lost or stolen passport, you should allow at least six weeks. Your application may take longer if IPS needs to request further information. Travel should not be booked until the new passport has been issued and received by the customer. The British Government cannot accept responsibility for costs incurred if travel is booked and subsequently cancelled before the passport has been received. The new passport and supporting documents will be delivered separately by DHL to the address given by the customer.

If you need to travel urgently but your normal passport is not available, you should contact the nearest Consular Assistance team in Sofia. In certain circumstances our staff may be able to issue an Emergency Travel Document but this is not a substitute for a full UK passport.

So the best course of action is to apply as early as possible, and to make sure that you follow the new guidelines.

Please note that our Embassy is not able to take calls about individual passport applications. If you cannot find the information you need on the gov.uk website, please contact the Passport Information Contact Centre or the IPS Customer Service Centre. Details for both will be published on gov.uk.
Welcome to GOV.UK
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
GOV.UK - The new place to find government services and information replacing Directgov and Business Link - Simpler, clearer, faster

AuthorMessage
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012   Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:25 am

Thanks Blink and Oddie for the original post. I have now checked [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and Blink's website and I have found the details. They weren't there when I originally checked but good job I waited so I can now apply direct to UK. However, it costs considerably more than applying in the UK with the PO check and send service!
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012   Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:03 pm

Sorry Andy - I can now also see where you might have heard about the face to face application. On the website which Blink gave, it says this might be necessary for a first passport. Apologies
Back to top Go down
Andy
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012   Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:07 pm

No problem we are all here to help each other and you offer more help than most.
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012   Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:47 am

I am just trying to organise a courier service to deliver this precious passport to UK. I checked the UK address of the passport office on the Gov.UK website and the post code for 101 Old Hall Street Liverpool is given as L3 9BP. I double checked when filling in a form and its L3 9BD! Unbelievable.
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012   Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:47 pm

Yes the same with the DVLC and all the government establishments, they do tend to have different postcodes. They differ by a letter because they are across the road. We have the same at work, have 3 different buildings on the same grounds but 3 different post codes.

oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012   Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:51 pm

Well the post code on the Gov. website was for a Business Park. The correct code did not appear at all when I put it in in the space where you put the code and the address comes up. Good job I checked.
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012   Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:12 am

Just to let everyone know that I have my Hero's new passport! What a relief because this is such an important document when living abroad especially. It went off by courier - door to door by DHL. Great service. Returned less than a week later by DHL again and door to door! It was all very expensive, more so than renewing in England even though it went to the same building (post code I used correct!) and of course, the cost of the courier. However, given it was Christmastime it was worth the money for the peace of mind and I would well recommend this course of action. Not everything is cheap when living abroad in the Balkan wasteland!
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012   Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 am

I posted my Passport to the UK through Econt on Wednesday, only to be phoned and told that they couldn't send it. They had accepted my payment of 83.10 nb, but still insisted that they couldn't send it. Is it safe to send by Registerd Mail from here, is it traceable after it leaves BG?

Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012   Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:20 am

I've used both Speedy and DHL for important documents in the past with no problems.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012   Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:49 am

bgbazz wrote:
I've used both Speedy and DHL for important documents in the past with no problems.

I posted my Passport back to the UK using DHL today and they were brilliant. I phoned them at 10.30 and a courier collected the package from our house at 1 o'clock, a simple form was filled in by the courier, a signature from me, together with the cash was given to him and off he went after telling me that the package would be at the destination tomorrow. A great service from DHL. What more could you ask for?

Back to top Go down
Daisy
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012   Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:53 am

I use DHL for everything and yes they are first class. s
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012   Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:09 pm

I have to agree with you guys..DHL are very good and as previously stated, we have used them before. But, at the risk of going 'off topic', may I just say the following?

I purchase quite a lot of vehicle parts, household goods etc. from the UK and I have a very good friend who acts as my 'collection point' near Redditch over there. When we have a sizeable package of stuff, I arrange a pickup for transport to Bulgaria..I phone Speedy, here in Plovdiv and they do the rest. The strange thing is that the charge for the pick up from Redditch, processing, then delivery to me in Plovdiv is usually much less than what a single item delivery costs in Britain. Let me give you an example..recently, I purchased a nudge bar for my Jeep and had it delivered from Hull to Redditch..courier cost 25 quid, which I thought was reasonable..a couple of days later I had some heavy suspension parts sent up to Redditch from London and the courier charged me 65 quid. My mate repacked everything into a decent sized package and advised me it was ready for collection. Rang Speedy, parcel picked up and delivered within two days (all intact and safe)...total cost from UK to BG..just 23 pounds!

Sorry if I sound non diplomatic, sorry if I offend anyone..I seem to have a habit of doing this.
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012   Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:38 am

Morning Guys

Good post: Bazz T. Both these posts are interestng and informative so I think it might be best to spit it to cover the DHL &
Speedy Couriers info seperately so it is easy to find.. Anothere idea is to have the contact details - So Bazz, if you can provide us with one or both that would be fab. You or I can start the post off with this info once received. T g

itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012   Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:39 pm

My new Passport has safely arrived in BG and was sent by DHL, but not with the same expediancy as it was being sent from here in the middle of the Baltics and also in the middle of Bulgaria to the UK, my old Passport and application was delivered to Liverpool in less than 24 hours. So full marks to them on the outgoing post, however it would appear that the UK Government in times of austerity have opted for a cheaper DHL service. My incoming Passport took 10 days, so it safe to assume that the class of post was not to the standard that it was sent from here, more like "
when you are passing Bulgaria would you mind poping this passport into Veliko Tarnovo."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012   

Back to top Go down

Pasport changes from 3 Dec 2012

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2