View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Equinus
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Learning the cyrillic alphabet   Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

Mr Eq has printed off the cyrillic alphabet on to card today, with the English on the other side and cut them in to tiles. After a few false starts he can now identify all 30 tiles in 50 seconds.

How does he do that???? I only got about half of them! Grrrr.

Too easily distracted I reckon.

Mrs Eq

AuthorMessage
Equinus
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Learning the cyrillic alphabet   Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:03 pm

bgbazz wrote:
It's all about expectations and attitudes, Mr Eq..and you seem to have an abundance of both, which is a good thing..IMHO.

Cheers, ultimately me and the OH would like to getout of the rat race here in the UK and have a degree of control of our lives and have time for ourselves. Life is too short and sometimes it is necessary to take a risk to get a better outlook of life, a bit like climbing a mountain to get a better view. Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in 2010 seems to have given me that view in that we have decided to take the plunge and create our own destiny.

Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Learning the cyrillic alphabet   Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:30 pm

learning this alphabet and speaking the lingo can be very difficult. As in England there are many different versions of the one language.
The difficulty we had to over come to move forward was our neighbours and Bulgarian friends that had got so used to our baby speach that they understood every word They knew what we were talking about and stopped correcting us. We had to widen our circle and chat to all and sundry in the shops market and other towns to improve. Still got a long long way to go but getting there. Funny every one understands us when we talk money and price!!
chrissy
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Learning the cyrillic alphabet   Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:06 pm

The universal language of money knows no barriers or borders..no one is backward in coming forward when it comes to prices. . I know what you mean when it comes to 'baby speak'..they are just happy that you are making the effort..and in return, they are happy to make allowances for the odd mistake in grammar, just as we native English speakers do with children or other less articulate speakers.

It's all good fun at the end of the day.
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Learning the cyrillic alphabet   Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:59 am

Like bgbazz, my understanding far outstrips my ability to speak. It is frustrating because whereas, I can understand and read cyrillic I do think I should be able to communicate more on a chatty level. Maybe its a good thing in a way because I sometimes can open my mouth when politically it would be better shut. After 9 years here I still find myself reading shop signs and everything Bulgarian when I am out and about and I read the subtitles on English films and try to follow the news on TV. However, this is not always a guide to learning the language as the text often differs to what is being said in English! Editting by translation. I think its my memory that is at fault and cannot think quick enough to reply to my Bulgarian friends in depth and I had the same problem in school although managed to pass O levels in French and German and can still speak those languages remembering how they were drilled into me. I need a Bulgarian to make me sit down and take tests but unfortunately no-one in the village teaches and are quite happy that I can communicate (and sing) as well as I do.
I think it is essential to try to speak and without any language at all you will be confined to the expat bubble. Its much more fun to integrate and I find myself still speaking my basic Bulgarian even when a Bulgarian speaks to me in English. I feel its only polite. I also think it helps Anglo-Bulgarian relations and Bulgarians are often very appreciative that you can speak their language however basic it maybe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Learning the cyrillic alphabet   

Back to top Go down

Learning the cyrillic alphabet

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2