Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: My garden   Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:59 am

Top tip , never knew they couldn't see in the dark T
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: My garden   Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:21 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
A little tip which may help anyone getting rid of a wasp nest....wait until it's totally dark and then spray it.

They can't see in the dark and will almost never leave the nest while you spray.

I've got rid of dozens of nests in this way...and never had a sting.

Excellent Bazz will keep that in mind and will tell the neighbours too as they have wasp nest everywhere. T T

oddball

PostSubject: Re: My garden   Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:57 am

Well looks like all going well with the cementing of the path apart from running out of the red dye but we will get that a little later today. Had to order more ballast so will be ready for the next load. Come up with a good idea on how to drain the water from the path make a little indent grove across any excess water will flow off and hopefully should not show up too much but it does not matter if it does show as long as it does the job. Will post photos when done.

Have a good day!!!

justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:03 pm

You don't even need to make it a visible groove...just a slight dip in the finished surface will do. The wider you make the dip, which probably only needs to be half an inch deep (at most) on the downstream side, the less obvious it will be. Teach the water to go where you want it to go...gentle hints work best and if done properly, can have little impact on the eye.

My two bobs worth.
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: My garden   Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:00 pm

Oh should have read you message earlier Bazz opened it too late.

Here is the path finally concreted and drying out nicely. Tomorrow should be dry so will removed the boards and will put the big white stones along the edge and we also cemented the arch in so will put the roses on either side. I have some stone coming tomorrow too so hopefully most of this area will look presentable.

Have to remember this is all new to us and all trial and error but we are very pleased at what we have done although it is not perfect we are getting there little by little and they fact we are doing it ourselves is even better, yes we could get someone in to do it but we love the challange. Now the drainage problem is another matter we may very well have to get someone in as we need to get the levels right so water runs away easily and frankly we need machinery for that Grounds are up and down as you can see from the gazebo, We started with about 10" of cement and ended up with almost a meter off the ground.

Here are a few photos [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] I know you love my photos hahahahh

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

justbazz
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: subject   Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:59 pm

Bit of a shame my situation prevented me paying you the promised visit...we could have done all that without any of the steps and ridges...would have saved you time, effort, materials and money.

Well done anyway. g
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: My garden   Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:17 pm

Bit of a shame my situation prevented me paying you the promised visit...we could have done all that without any of the steps and ridges...would have saved you time, effort, materials and money.  

Well done anyway.  g

Ah bless thanks Bazz sure there are plenty more job in the future, there is plenty of time.

The next job is to build the kitchen onto the gazebo from the right hand side, decided we will make the area a bit bigger now so will cement instead of original idea of using wood now. Also do not want to use wood as this will make the patio enterence to the gazebo very dark. Will start looking at perspects in a light gold colour so we still get the light in so the kitchen will be bright. If we use wood or brick it will make it all too dark. We might even look at a conservatory type building for the kitchen but use blinds to block the heat off. I do not want a proper BBQ as it is too hard to keep clean being outside I would fret about what crawled on it so would be cleaning it all the time. I will use my electric one that is completely covered in and can store it in the winter.

oddball

PostSubject: Re: My garden   Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:51 am

Well finally the path is finished and I must admit we are very pleased with it. Also filled in some stone around the area so looking good now.

oddball

PostSubject: Re: My garden   Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:42 am

Hey ho!!! another step forward.  Today the kichen concreting has been finished  Area is beinging to take shape now.  Oh also decided to  go with stones rather than concrete over the tiles. next year maybe

itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: My garden   Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:41 pm

Hey ho!!! another step forward.  Today the kichen concreting has been finished  Area is beinging to take shape now.  Oh also decided to  go with stones rather than concrete over the tiles. next year maybe

Nice to see your improvements and also, like us you believe in a goodly amount of chekle around the garden.
Back to top Go down
itchyfeet
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: My garden   Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:44 pm

Nice to see your improvements and also, like us you believe in a goodly amount of chekle around the garden.

I am beginning to do some small works around the garden and taking it pretty easy to allow my triple by-pass and Pacemaker to keep me going.
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: My garden   Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:08 pm

Hello Itchy lovely to see you back and so glad all went well with the op, you gave us a fright. You do need to take it very easy just little bit the stop. Big hugs to you both H

oddball

PostSubject: Re: My garden   Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:56 pm

Spread some more stone on the garden today. It is really taking shape now. Took this photo about 7pm

oddball

PostSubject: Re: My garden   Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:16 am

Garden is coming on nicely little by little.  I planted over 50 rose stems and and about 15 weepin willow trees all round the fence area, doubt they will all come up but who knows.  7 ton of gravel put down so hopefully no mud this winter .
Dougie has also covered in the balconies with plastic and if this works well we build a small wall around the balony downstairs first and then fit double glazing with patio doors which will eventually lead onto a  decking.  Still lots to do, it never ends.

oddball

PostSubject: Re: My garden   Yesterday at 7:25 am

We had the double glazing firms 3 qutoes to come and fit pvc on the lower balcony.  I know what I want which is very simple, arched windows and a double glazed door leading out to a wood decking (in due course) and a small door leading down both sets of existing steps on the side of the villa.  The glaziers said they cannot do this but suggested pvc along the bottom, where Dougie has put the ton and grove and also a small amount of pvc at the top at the top:shocked1:  i told them no this is not good it would cut out the light , so we get the shrug of the shoulders.  They proceeded to quote right up to 4 wooden bars from the right to where the kitchen starts (this is a dead space so we will fill this in with bricks and bring the big window out hence giving us about a meter in the kitchen area.  

The prices to supply and fit the pvc and patio doors with all of the companies came to around 3000lev  but we had to get someone else to come and finished off, make good the joins to the top and bottom and sides would cost around another 800lev to 1000lev.  So now the cover in is costing 3800lev to 4000lev not too bad we though than had a phone call to say the materials are more than expected so the pvc is 4200 and and maybe 800+ for the finishing. So now to do this area we are looking at 5000lev+. inc supply and fitting  bottom brown pvc, top glass to the top with a finishing strip and of course a set of double patio doors and a small single door.  Total 5000lev +

However, we  decided we need the wall extended and the window put in before we put the glazing as the glazing would need to fit to the extended kitchen area. So no time to do this before winter hence Dougie made the wood and plastic fittings and you know, this is very good and makes a huge difference to the villa especially at night time. During the day it is very hot out there but we can leave the door open to cool down, outside is very cold. Of course I am so pleased we did not go ahead with the double glazing as the wood area, which would be brown plastic would have cuts out a lot of the light on the balcony, I had not thuoght of that aspect.  

So now come spring we are planning to build a wall  24" high all the way along the bottom floor balcony up to the kitchen area, add normal patio doors then put pillars between to hold the arched double glazed units we will get made up seperately and will fit it all ourslves and we should end up with what we want.  

Well that is the plan g   Watch this space.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My garden   

Back to top Go down

My garden

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 20 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20