Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Experiences of Brits Abroad   Tue May 28, 2013 10:12 am

First topic message reminder :

Experiences of Brits Abroad

Please feel free to post you experiences here good or bad or indifferent? please be careful about anything you post and please do not mention any names of individuals, if you do post anything and a member wishes to know more they can then send you a pm for more information however there is nothing wrong with you posting the facts so long as it has been dealt with through any court of law and come to a conclusion, Ok that's the legal stuff over with so its over to you to share your experiences.

Admin
"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain."
Back to top Go down
http://www.ourbulgariaforum.com

AuthorMessage
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Experiences of Brits Abroad   Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:19 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] wrote:
sorry, but i dont believe that tonys input has put a stop on this topic and i am surprised you even said that. we have all had different experiences of dealing with brits abroad, good, bad or indifferent, its up to each individual to choose what to share on this forum, but it should be respected rather than challenged or questioned. c

Agree with Starlite oldun, I am a little confused as to why you think Tonyb60 input has stopped the topic. Could you enlighten us please

Nice post Tonyb60 which seems to have stopped this topic.

oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Experiences of Brits Abroad   Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:19 pm

I thought his comment about refraining from mentioning the bad might put people off posting the bad besides the good. It is a difficult subject anyway to broach because no-one really wants to advertise bad experiences. It made me feel I was out of order by outing my bad experience which I have kept quiet about for 4 years. It has upset me deeply and I know others have had really nasty experiences from fellow Brits but do not wish to air them on a forum for obvious reasons since no-one knows who maybe lurking to make matters worse. As we are leaving I can now reassure anyone unhappy in a situation that you are not alone. These experiences in a foreign country can be very isolating. I didn't mean to offend Tony and didn't think I had. His post made me feel I was complaining unnecessarily. I am so sorry if I had caused offence. I think you should know me better than that!
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Experiences of Brits Abroad   Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:50 pm

I thought his comment about refraining from mentioning the bad might put people off posting the bad besides the good. It is a difficult subject anyway to broach because no-one really wants to advertise bad experiences. It made me feel I was out of order by outing my bad experience which I have kept quiet about for 4 years. It has upset me deeply and I know others have had really nasty experiences from fellow Brits but do not wish to air them on a forum for obvious reasons since no-one knows who maybe lurking to make matters worse. As we are leaving I can now reassure anyone unhappy in a situation that you are not alone. These experiences in a foreign country can be very isolating. I didn't mean to offend Tony and didn't think I had. His post made me feel I was complaining unnecessarily. I am so sorry if I had caused offence. I think you should know me better than that!

Thanks Oldun, no worries that's now cleared up g Yes, indeed, as you say most people tend to keep their bad experiences to themselves and of course, that is their choice. I guess they don't post this on forums so as not to warn people off their dreams, as the dream is always different for everyone. It is how you live this dream that matters and how involved you want to become with everyone else. c It is good to share all experiences as we all learn from them too. g

chrissybg
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Experiences of Brits Abroad   Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:41 pm

your right it is important to share a problem shared a problem halved and all that and heres one for you.
If you don't have to visit Yambol at the moment i suggest you don't.
there seems to be an invation of brits and the language heard in the supermarket car park was so disgusting that it turned the air blue.
why act like a load of hooligans shouting at young ladies about their figures and the words used were totaly out of order.
If they realy thought they had a chance with any of the Bulgarian beautys they lost it as soon as they opened their car doors let alone their mouths
Back to top Go down
oldun
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Experiences of Brits Abroad   Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks Oddie. Yes I would never want to squash people's dreams but I think most people sincerely believe it won't happen to them or that they will cope or keep themselves to themselves. We have lived a dreamlife and still have a lovely time in our village but I really think its necessary to make friends with Bulgarians rather than totally live in an expat bubble. This is why we have enjoyed our life so much here in our little village. My Hero has been out strimming the neighbours gardens and verges and everyone is so happy because these recent storms have made the undergrowth take over very quickly. It created a great party atmsophere. I wouldn't want anyone to think we are sitting moping about things that have happened in the past and its the purpetrators which are the sad ones. s
Back to top Go down
oddball

PostSubject: Re: Experiences of Brits Abroad   Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:07 pm

your right it is important to share a problem shared a problem halved and all that and heres one for you.
there seems to be an invation of brits and the language heard in the supermarket car park was so disgusting that it turned the air blue.
why act like a load of hooligans shouting at young ladies about their figures and the words used were totaly out of order.
If they realy thought they had a chance with any of the Bulgarian beautys they lost it as soon as they opened their car doors let alone their mouths

Oh I say Chrissy - how awful for you guys! Crossing Yambol off my list for a while now. g

justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Experiences of Brits Abroad   Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:12 pm

I choose to think that our Bulgarian beauties have too much class for loud mouthed morons..whatever hole they crawled out of!

Sooner or later they will gob off within earshot of the Bulgarian boys who mostly understand English..then the skin and hair will fly!!
Back to top Go down
tonyb60
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Experiences of Brits Abroad   Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:52 pm

What you saw and heard is not un-common in Yambol, we have heard similar in Kauflands car park and we heard some Brits we had not seen before in Lidl's Fing and Blinding . They think the Bulgarians don't understand but they do, they do. Why this type of person behaves in this way we do not know or understand but it gives us Brits a bad name. Luckily we have a good name and reputation in our Village and we are respected by all. ::

Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Experiences of Brits Abroad   Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:16 pm

this is not the blast from the past i would like to hear or see again to be honest with you.
good job i don't live in an area with them because i would be moving.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Experiences of Brits Abroad   Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:58 pm

You are right on the ball Tony..it IS that type of behaviour which Bulgarians find offensive (and causes other, civilized folk to cringe in shame)..but, I would wager a tenner that the same rude, crude and unrefined people would scratch their head and wonder why no-one likes them.
Back to top Go down
expatinchina
Junior user
Junior user

PostSubject: Re: Experiences of Brits Abroad   Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:26 pm

bgbazz wrote:
You are right on the ball Tony..it IS that type of behaviour which Bulgarians find offensive (and causes other, civilized folk to cringe in shame)..but, I would wager a tenner that the same rude, crude and unrefined people would scratch their head and wonder why no-one likes them.

I think most people worldwide find that kind of behaviour offensive.
Back to top Go down
justbazz1

PostSubject: Re: Experiences of Brits Abroad   Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:33 pm

You are probably right..but this Bulgaria (where we live) we are talking about.
Back to top Go down
Phil-H
Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Experiences of Brits Abroad   Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:36 pm

I've tried to refrain from commenting in this thread up-to-now, but now feel I have to add, with regards to bad news and sharing, one of the problems that readers should always consider is that whilst it's not the norm' but they may not always be being told the whole story.

That comment has nothing to do concerning anyone on this forum or any comment already posted, but from another forum where after about 10+ pages it eventually came to light that not all the information had been told resulting in a lot of people agreeing on something that was in fact incorrect.

But getting back to the original topic of 'Experiences of Brits Abroad'
When people here in BG refer to their property they mainly call it a house.

Whereas the majority of brits in Turkey insist on calling their property, regardless of whether it is a Flat, Bungalow, Detached House, or Semi-detached House, (don't know if they have Maisonettes in Turkey) a 'Villa'
So the question here is are they just trying one-up-manship or is a Villa just the normal term used in the country of Turkey?

Super user
Super user

PostSubject: Re: Experiences of Brits Abroad   Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:14 pm

I like to call my house my home. It has been my home here in my little village of Bulgaria and have always considered it a 'home'. For advertising it is a 'property'. Never would I refer to my home as a villa but maybe some people do it as a oneupmanship thing. I have seen one house with the English owner's name on it in big letters. If that isn't making a statement what is? Also, maybe begging for theft? What must poor village Bulgarians think about it? On the swearing front I must say that we do not have that problem thank goodness. The problems are much more subtle and thus difficult to resolve either by us or the Mayor although he did contact the police after my Hero was once more challenged in the street to a fight, and all the English contingent had to sign a form which warned of emigration if anything happened again. Kind of an ASBO in Bulgaria!!!!! Needless to say my Hero did not respond to the aggressive behaviour and has never thrown a punch ever.
I think that the Brits maybe expecting him to retaliate because that is how they would respond and cannot understand why he stays so calm. I must say I think he is amazing because I am sure I would fall right into the trap and hit out. Hey, Willowsend I am the battleaxe aren't I? Good job I stay home in peace and quiet but why shouldn't my Hero go out to meet his mates for a beer or medicinal Mastika to watch the world go by? Its the only social life we have nowadays.
I was told that the Mayor only likes us because of media attention for the village. What a load of b.........t. I have now left the choir and thus I am sure that the media will lose interest especially as we do not sponsor the Rockfest either. Run out of the windfall money. The Mayor is still very much our friend thank goodness as are many Bulgarians who like my FB page.
I am so sorry if all this sounds so upsetting but it is the truth and I have kept this all a secret for 4 years and always looked on the bright side. I definitely think none of this would happen to many people. Ours is a very extreme case and I still cannot understand why it has escalated to such a degree when we have done nothing but live in a place where others want to be topdog. Hence calling a house a villa as the last poster mentioned.
Back to top Go down
willowsend
Mega user
Mega user

PostSubject: Re: Experiences of Brits Abroad   Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:25 pm

[size=150:3fchea1p]Is a house/home different from a cottage or a villa ?

How does one define a house, What is a house? Is it different from a cottage or a villa or a holiday rental?
The short answer is "
no"
- at least not in the way that it is commonly used (or abused) on the Internet. But even so the term does tend to be used more specifically to define a particular type of accommodation, to the exclusion of other types.

For some holiday properties, the expressions house, cottage, holiday rental, holiday cottage, holiday let, and vacation rental, and even chalet, may all be quite appropriate, and frequently used. But within this disconcerting array of alternatives, each term has certain nuances of meaning - or should have. The problem is that owners and agencies often use words with a nonchalant disregard for their real meaning, and sometimes choose a deliberately more flattering term to describe a rental property that is really not much to write home about.

In correct usage, the various terms that describe holiday rental properties can be defined as follows:

Home, Definition: a home is a most commonly a rural property, frequently in a renovated traditional country cottage or barn conversion - in a village or in the countryside. The word home, more generally defines the function of the property, and in reality there are plenty of homes in modern buildings.

Villa, the term villa is more used to describe modern detached properties, or classic residences, and defines the nature of a building rather than its function. A detached house in the leafy suburbs of Nice for instance, or a modern house in a small village, might describe itself as a "
villa"
, though also as a "
gite"

Cottage the term evokes the image of a small traditional rural homestead, the kind of building that was once the home of a farm worker and his family or a smallholder. It is commonly used in this definition today, though on account of its homely connotations and the values the word implies, the term "
cottage"
is also used more generally to describe any form of self-contained rural accommodation, and is perhaps the best English translation of the word "
gîte"

Chalet, term traditionally used to describe wooden dwellings in the mountains, or traditional mountain buildings built of stone and wood. Today the word is also used to describe modern wooden houses in the country, or even small prefabricated wooden holiday homes.

Holiday rental, holiday let: (in French, "
location de vacances"
) These expressions cover a much wider spectrum of properties, and include modern seaside apartments, bungalows, and almost any type of flat or house that is rented out furnished for tourists or short-stay visitors.

Holiday apartment, vacation rental, holiday lodging : these terms are essentially used in American English, but for this reason have been picked up by a lot of international websites or holiday websites in English that are actually run and/or owned by people speaking other languages. For this reason, their usage on the Internet is often rather arbitrary and general. There are plenty of instances of holiday websites describing detached villas as "
holiday apartments"
and vice-versa

As most will know my Bulgarian home is called Cherry Tree House, but for letting purposes and using Advertising terminology it is referred to as a Villa

PostSubject: Re: Experiences of Brits Abroad   

Back to top Go down

Experiences of Brits Abroad

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next